Black Women of Brazil

The site dedicated to Brazilian women of African descent

Six Brazilians have the same wealth as the poorest 100 million Brazilians; richest 5% have the same share of income as the other 95% of the population

Note from BW of Brazil: So tell me, are we still all equal? I often poke fun at this ridiculous statement that so many Brazilians utter when someone shares an … Continue reading

October 6, 2017 · 3 Comments

Among college graduates, whites still earn 47% more than blacks

Note from BW of Brazil: The article we present below doesn’t in fact reveal anything that researchers of racial inequality in Brazil didn’t already know. The fact is that social disparities … Continue reading

November 1, 2015 · Leave a comment

Report: The more education Afro-Brazilians receive, the higher the inequality in the job market

Note from BW of Brazil: Along with many other popular beliefs about racism and racial inequality in Brazil is the idea that as Afro-Brazilians attain more education, discrimination against them … Continue reading

November 14, 2013 · Leave a comment

Racial inequalities persist after 125 years of the abolition of slavery

by Naira Sodré and Max Milliano Melo Yesterday, May 13, we remembered the date of the abolition of slavery in Brazil in 1888. But 125 years after the abolition of slavery, … Continue reading

May 14, 2013 · Leave a comment

In the fashion industry, entrepreneurship helps black women to earn social respect and in the labor market, says stylist

Marah Silva of  Ateliê Cretismo in Rio de Janeiro By Thais Leitão of Agência Brasil Brasília – Entrepreneurship is a key that frees the black woman to conquest social respect and … Continue reading

March 11, 2013 · 1 Comment

Black women earn 58.3% of income of non-black men

Study shows differences in working conditions in the country; Metropolitan São Paulo area has the greatest difference between black and non-black. The average real income per hour worked of employed … Continue reading

November 26, 2012 · 2 Comments

A blacker middle class: families of Brazil’s middle-class boom

  Previously concentrated at the base of the pyramid of income, blacks are 80% of the 35 million people that ascended socially, pointing to a more homogeneous country Ten years … Continue reading

September 28, 2012 · 1 Comment